The-EN.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to The-EN Community!
Please welcome our newest member: https://electronicnetwork.all-up.com/u460
Discuss & Discover more.

5 posters

Sony plugs PS3 root key hole with Blu-ray serial keys

SPADEZ
    SPADEZ
    EN Administrator
    EN Administrator

PSN ID PSN ID : SPADERZ216

Cash : 31295
    Puerto Rico

Sony plugs PS3 root key hole with Blu-ray serial keys Empty Sony plugs PS3 root key hole with Blu-ray serial keys

Post by SPADEZ Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:48 pm

Sony plugs PS3 root key hole with Blu-ray serial keys Ps3jailbreak

Sony will introduce a serial key system for its games on the PlayStation 3, according to a “very reliable source” cited by PS3-Sense.

The move follows the revealing of the PS3's root keys at the beginning of this month, which opens the doors to piracy. The root keys are used as part of the authentication process to verify the legitimacy of a PS3 game, but with them out in the wild hackers can trick their way past the protection measure.

The exposing of the root keys caused massive embarrassment for Sony and could cost it millions in pirated games. It has taken the threat to heart, suing over 100 hackers involved in the case.

That may help recoup some losses or keep the hackers at bay for a bit, but it won't repair the breach in the PS3's hull, so clearly it is hard at work trying to find a new authentication system.

New games are expected to come with a unique serial key relating to that specific Blu-ray disc, which must then be entered on the PS3 for verification, much like standard serial keys for software and games on PCs. However, it can only be entered a maximum of five times, obviously to prevent further piracy, but it may cause severe restrictions for genuine gamers also.

Sony is already working on this proposal and has, according to unnamed source, already updated the PS3's firmware to enact the new protection measure. Of course, old games that have already been shipped cannot have the serial keys introduced, so either Sony will have to forfeit its losses on those or come up with another security measure.

source
    iRaz
    iRaz
    EN Mod
    EN Mod

EN AwardTop Comedy Contributor

EN Award 2#1 Most Active Member

PSN ID PSN ID : Razokevin

Cash : 29269
    Puerto Rico

Sony plugs PS3 root key hole with Blu-ray serial keys Empty Re: Sony plugs PS3 root key hole with Blu-ray serial keys

Post by iRaz Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:50 pm

this is hacker's fault! -_-
    SPADEZ
    SPADEZ
    EN Administrator
    EN Administrator

Puerto Rico

Sony plugs PS3 root key hole with Blu-ray serial keys Empty Is Sony Planning to Thwart PS3 Pirates with Blu-ray Serial Keys?

Post by SPADEZ Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:52 pm

What if Sony took a page from Microsoft and required you activate games on your PlayStation 3 before playing? Or not just games, how about Blu-ray discs--movies, games, software, whatever--in general?

It's just a rumor, but Dutch site PS3-Sense writes Sony may be planning just that, possibly in response to a recent root-key hack that reportedly lays the PS3's security routines bare.

Citing "a very reliable source," the site outlines a new serial-key authentication process whereby Blu-ray disc games would be paired to PlayStation 3 units, authenticating against Sony's servers. The site adds that each serial key would only be usable up to five times.

Kind of like Sony's PlayStation Store, then. As I understand it, you can download something from the PlayStation Store as many times as you like, but only activate it on up to five discrete PS3s.

The Blu-ray serial would function similarly, claims PS3-Sense: Pop the disc in up to five different PS3s, then you're done. In the unlikely event you'd ever burn through five systems and have to purchase a sixth, you'd have to buy a new copy of the max-activated Blu-ray game as well.

Think about the implications if any of that's accurate. Not just for pirates, who deserve to be shut out, but legitimate owners (and, some might claim, legitimate hackers).

Used games? Those days are over. Players who don't (or can't) connect their systems to the Internet to authenticate? Locked out, too.

Would you buy a PS3 if games had use-limited security tags? What about games in general? Are we glimpsing the future of media, sold as a service (instead of a good) you don't really own? Media that you can only use in specific circumstances and that's non-resalable?

Note that I'm basing my read on Google's translation of the site. Don't jump off a cliff yet, or you know, mistake any of this for fact. For all I know, it's a ploy to make Sony look bad by putting bad info on the wire, or fudge the details to make the process sound more despotic than it is.

source
    PyroPhoenix
    PyroPhoenix
    EN Mod
    EN Mod

EN AwardEN Ace Detective

PSN ID PSN ID : PyroPhoenix

Cash : 26033
    United States of America

Sony plugs PS3 root key hole with Blu-ray serial keys Empty Re: Sony plugs PS3 root key hole with Blu-ray serial keys

Post by PyroPhoenix Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:01 pm

Hackers always fuck shit up. Now our ps3 discs which used to have infinite uses will be down to only 5 uses. So if your ps3 dies over and over, your disc will be essentially useless. That's the whole fucking reason why I prefer discs over download, because you can use it forever. Thanks hackers for fucking physical discs up, you fucking douche bags.
    west
    west
    EN Activated
    EN Activated

Cash : 25043
    United States of America

Post by west Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:17 pm

I see deals being made to prevent this. Best Buy just got into preowned games, Gamespot, etc...
    GameFly would die overnight.

No chance. MAYBE PS4
    I
    SPADEZ
    SPADEZ
    EN Administrator
    EN Administrator

Puerto Rico

Post by SPADEZ Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:29 pm

If so, the PS4 will be the death of many game stores and companys.
    RenegadeFred
    RenegadeFred
    EN Prototype
    EN Prototype

Cash : 25690
    United States of America

Post by RenegadeFred Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:58 pm

I don't see this happening at all. There's just no way it would work. As you've stated that so many companies would lose huge revenue from this. They may be able to sell the XBOX / Nintendo and PC games and the older non keyed PS3 games. But it's not only the game stores that lose. It's the rental stores also that depend on gamers to bring in that extra cash threw video game rentals.

Not everyone can afford a new game. I know I don't rush out everytime there's a new game I want. I'll sit and wait a few months till the price either comes down or I can afford it used. Now I'm not saying I won't buy a new game if this somehow is a legitimate claim, but it would cut down alot on what I have spent so far.

Those who can't get online can't play the games at all? Well that's real smart, so they are basically forcing people to pay for an online connection. Why would anyone buy a PS3 then? My brother owns an Xbox 360 which isn't online. He uses his cell phone for online connectivity. So if he were to buy a PS3 with this implemented he just wasted cash.

I just love how these rumors get around. Sony's just gonna have to bite the bullet on the PS3. It's exposed and now backup managers are actually working. Lesson learned on Sony's behalf thou the stupid lawsuits aren't doing them justice.

Even so Piracy only takes up a small portion of gamers who can't afford the actual games and the percentage goes up in other countries but I don't see how it hurts that much. Yes it's wrong to begin with, but for me I would rather own the disk and if I choose then make a copy to play on the hard drive.

Someone has to buy the game originally in order to make a copy of it then load it in a torrent or some other means. Sony will obviously soon turn to suing the first uploader yatta, like we've seen with Nintendo and the NSMB.
    iRaz
    iRaz
    EN Mod
    EN Mod

EN AwardTop Comedy Contributor

EN Award 2#1 Most Active Member

PSN ID PSN ID : Razokevin

Cash : 29269
    Puerto Rico

Post by iRaz Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:12 pm

imo, this is the worst idea ever, this should be only for PC games, its so dumb making this on a gaming console, just because they dont want hackers making piracy, -_-, if this really happens i swear that ill go with xbox or a 3ds
    SPADEZ
    SPADEZ
    EN Administrator
    EN Administrator

Puerto Rico

Post by SPADEZ Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:47 am

Well said Fred. Sony will lose business to, eventually their rep will go down. Stores like Gamestop probably won't die because I failed to mention the obvious; they do sell other products that aren't just Sony. I know Microsoft is loving the BS that Sony is getting right now. You see how they already jumped on Geohot inviting him to hack the Windows 7 Phone just to get on his good graces and appear like the "cool guys" to the general public (especially the Geohot supporters.)

If this was to happen... all those small stores and companies that sell used games will have no choice but to adapt, eventually other companies will fall in line and Microsoft and Nintendo will do the same over time and buying used games will be a thing of the past.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:45 pm