The-EN.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to The-EN Community!
Please welcome our newest member: https://electronicnetwork.all-up.com/u460
Discuss & Discover more.

5 posters

Sony v. Hotz: Sony Sends A Dangerous Message to Researchers -- and Its Customers

RenegadeFred
    RenegadeFred
    EN Prototype
    EN Prototype

Cash : 25635
    United States of America

Sony v. Hotz: Sony Sends A Dangerous Message to Researchers -- and Its Customers Empty Sony v. Hotz: Sony Sends A Dangerous Message to Researchers -- and Its Customers

Post by RenegadeFred Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:12 am

Sony v. Hotz: Sony Sends A Dangerous Message to Researchers -- and Its Customers FPG_icon_PS3
    For years, EFF has been warning that the anti-circumvention provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act can be used to chill speech, particularly security research, because legitimate researchers will be afraid to publish their results lest they be accused of circumventing a technological protection measure. We've also been concerned that the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act could be abused to try to make alleged contract violations into crimes.

We've never been sorrier to be right. These two things are precisely what's happening in Sony v. Hotz. If you have missed this one, Sony has sued several security researchers for publishing information about security holes in Sony’s PlayStation 3. At first glance, it's hard to see why Sony is bothering — after all, the research was presented three weeks ago at the Chaos Communication Congress and promptly circulated around the world. The security flaws discovered by the researchers allow users to run Linux on their machines again — something Sony used to support but recently started trying to prevent. Paying lawyers to try to put the cat back in the bag is just throwing good money after bad. And even if they won — we'll save the legal analysis for another post — the defendants seem unlikely to be able to pay significant damages. So what's the point?

The real point, it appears, is to send a message to security researchers around the world: publish the details of our security flaws and we'll come after you with both barrels blazing. For example, Sony has asked the court to immediately impound all "circumvention devices" — which it defines to include not only the defendants' computers, but also all "instructions," i.e., their research and findings. Given that the research results Sony presumably cares about are available online, granting the order would mean that everyone except the researchers themselves would have access to their work.

Not content with the DMCA hammer, Sony is also bringing a slew of outrageous Computer Fraud and Abuse Act claims. The basic gist of Sony's argument is that the researchers accessed their own PlayStation 3 consoles in a way that violated the agreement that Sony imposes on users of its network (and supposedly enabled others to do the same). But the researchers don't seem to have used Sony's network in their research — they just used the consoles they bought with their own money. Simply put, Sony claims that it's illegal for users to access their own computers in a way that Sony doesn't like. Moreover, because the CFAA has criminal as well as civil penalties, Sony is actually saying that it's a crime for users to access their own computers in a way that Sony doesn't like.

That means Sony is sending another dangerous message: that it has rights in the computer it sells you even after you buy it, and therefore can decide whether your tinkering with that computer is legal or not. We disagree. Once you buy a computer, it's yours. It shouldn't be a crime for you to access your own computer, regardless of whether Sony or any other company likes what you're doing.

Finally, even if the researchers had used Sony's network, Sony's claim that it's a crime to violate its terms of use has been firmly rejected by courts in cases like United States v. Drew and Facebook v. Power Ventures. As those courts have recognized, companies like Sony would have tremendous coercive power if they could enforce their private, unilateral and easy-to-change agreements with threats of criminal punishment.

Sony's core arguments — that it can silence speech that reveals security flaws using the DMCA and that the mere fact of a terms of use somewhere gives a company permanent and total control over what you do with a device under pain of criminal punishment — are both sweeping and frightening, and not just for gamers and computer researchers. Frankly, it's not what we expect from any company that cares about its customers, and we bet it's not what those customers expect, either.

Attachment Size
    Sony_Complaint.PDF 2.59 MB
    Sony_Motion_For_TRO.pdf 207.03 KB

Source

----------------------------------

Located within the topic are links which can be found from the source page, but for easier access and instead of making a new post on each one of them I find it easier this way.
    iRaz
    iRaz
    EN Mod
    EN Mod

EN AwardTop Comedy Contributor

EN Award 2#1 Most Active Member

PSN ID PSN ID : Razokevin

Cash : 29214
    Puerto Rico

Sony v. Hotz: Sony Sends A Dangerous Message to Researchers -- and Its Customers Empty Re: Sony v. Hotz: Sony Sends A Dangerous Message to Researchers -- and Its Customers

Post by iRaz Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:19 am

Hackers>PS3>Sony, and when i mean PWNED, they really are. I guess a big perma-ban wave is coming soon and Sony>PS3 Users.
    SPADEZ
    SPADEZ
    EN Administrator
    EN Administrator

PSN ID PSN ID : SPADERZ216

Cash : 31240
    Puerto Rico

Sony v. Hotz: Sony Sends A Dangerous Message to Researchers -- and Its Customers Empty Re: Sony v. Hotz: Sony Sends A Dangerous Message to Researchers -- and Its Customers

Post by SPADEZ Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:21 am

wow... smh.. Sony just keeps on pointing the gun at all of us as consumers now eh.. It's just like I said in a few other topics.. Sony may do something to retaliate against Geohot and it will affect us all.

When I go to the store to buy a console or computer, I am making a purchase to own that computer or console, not renting the products. I think that's bullshit that Sony is trying to win a legal argument by trying to say it's a law that if they don't like it, its illegal. Indeed it's a chilling message Sony is giving people, but not just people, consumers. Word of advice Sony, don't start attacking consumers because some hacker jailbroke one of your products... I guarantee you will regret it.

Last edited by SPADEZ on Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Titan
    Titan
    EN Prototype
    EN Prototype

PSN ID PSN ID : ADAMPwns

Cash : 24797
    United States of America

Post by Titan Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:33 am

The problem with law pertaining to electronics and things that occur electronically is that it is a field that is constantly changing. I do think what Sony is doing is wrong for a lot of reasons, though. People freak out about DRM, but DRM is nothing compared to the things that they are starting to do here.
    Vicky
    Vicky
    EN Elite
    EN Elite

EN Award#1 Top Poster

Cash : 26113
    Japan

Post by Vicky Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:10 pm

more stupid claims by sony i can't wait until they lose and see how much money wasted in this crap i expect higher prices in home and psn after they lose this or even win it so we all lose becuase of that reason -.-

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:35 pm