The-EN.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to The-EN Community!
Please welcome our newest member: https://electronicnetwork.all-up.com/u460
Discuss & Discover more.

5 posters

Jobs Threatened 'Thermonuclear War' on Google's Android, AP Says

iRaz
    iRaz
    EN Mod
    EN Mod

EN AwardTop Comedy Contributor

EN Award 2#1 Most Active Member

PSN ID PSN ID : Razokevin

Cash : 29274
    Puerto Rico

Jobs Threatened 'Thermonuclear War' on Google's Android, AP Says Empty Jobs Threatened 'Thermonuclear War' on Google's Android, AP Says

Post by iRaz Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:15 am

Oct. 21 (Bloomberg) -- Apple Inc. co-founder Steve Jobs said he was "willing to go thermonuclear war" on Google Inc.'s Android software, saying that its features amounted to "grand theft," the Associated Press reported.

Jobs, then Apple's CEO, said he would "spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong," according to the AP's account of his biography, "Steve Jobs," by Walter Isaacson. Jobs died on Oct. 5.

Tension between the two companies escalated as Google used the Android operating system to follow Apple into the burgeoning market for smartphones. The rivalry forced Eric Schmidt, then CEO of Google, to resign from Apple's board in 2009.

"I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product," Jobs said in the book, according to the AP. "I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this."

The authorized biography, due to be released on Oct. 24, also sheds new light on Jobs's combat against cancer. The executive had secret treatments for the disease even though he was telling people he was cured, Isaacson told CBS News.

Jobs regretted the decision to initially refuse surgery for pancreatic cancer, Isaacson told CBS News's "60 Minutes," according to interview excerpts released yesterday.

"He said, 'I didn't want my body to be opened ... I didn't want to be violated in that way.' He's regretful about it," Isaacson said. "I think that he kind of felt that if you ignore something, if you don't want something to exist, you can have magical thinking ... We talked about this a lot."

Putting Off Surgery

Jobs had a slow-growing form of pancreatic cancer and put off surgery for nine months while he sought out spiritual and dietary therapies against the advice of his wife, Isaacson said. Once he had the surgery he told his employees about it while playing down the seriousness of his condition, CBS said.

"I will not require any chemotherapy or radiation treatments," Jobs wrote in an Aug. 1, 2004, e-mail from his hospital bed to employees of Cupertino, California-based Apple. He said then that he was cured after having successful surgery to remove a cancerous tumor from his pancreas.

In a commencement speech at Stanford University in June 2005, he said that he'd been diagnosed "about a year ago." He didn't mention the nine-month delay.

Doctors told Jobs that his illness was "curable" through an operation, Jobs said in that address.

"I had the surgery, and thankfully, I'm fine," he said.

Steve Dowling, a spokesman for Apple, declined to comment. The interview, conducted by correspondent Steve Kroft, will be broadcast on Oct. 23. The network posted a 1 minute, 25 second- long excerpt. "Steve Jobs" was published by Simon & Schuster, also owned by New York-based CBS.

Disclosure Timing

Jobs probably should have told shareholders that he had cancer when it was first diagnosed, said Charles Elson, director of the John L. Weinberg Center for Corporate Governance at the University of Delaware. From a governance perspective, how he decided to treat the illness was up to him, Elson said.

"He probably should have disclosed it, and everyone would have assumed he would do everything he could to keep himself alive," said Elson. "The question is whether he misled people because he himself was misled, or did he do it on purpose. I tend to give wide latitude on these things. No one wants to believe they're dying."

The biographer said that Jobs, who was adopted, met the man who turned out to be his biological father without knowing who he was.

Jobs's Search

Jobs found his biological mother and sister, the novelist Mona Simpson, according to Isaacson. Simpson then identified their father, Abdulfattah "John" Jandali, who managed a coffee shop.

Jandali told Simpson he wished she had met him earlier, when he ran a bigger Mediterranean restaurant in Silicon Valley. She hadn't told him Jobs was his son.

"Everyone used to come there," Jandali told Simpson, according to Isaacson. "Even Steve Jobs used to eat here. Yeah, he was a great tipper."

"60 Minutes" will broadcast a voice recording of Isaacson interviewing Jobs about his decision to ask Simpson to keep his identity private.

"When I was looking for my biological mother, obviously, you know, I was looking for my biological father at the same time, and I learned a little bit about him and I didn't like what I learned," Jobs said. "I asked her to not tell him that we ever met ... not tell him anything about me."

Source
    rhondatommy
    rhondatommy
    EN Transformer
    EN Transformer

EN AwardListed Top Poster

PSN ID PSN ID : rhondatommy. Na, rhonda247. Jp,rgsinthehouse. Eu

Cash : 25375
    United States of America

Jobs Threatened 'Thermonuclear War' on Google's Android, AP Says Empty Re: Jobs Threatened 'Thermonuclear War' on Google's Android, AP Says

Post by rhondatommy Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:02 am

It is sad we lost jobs but what happens to all smart phones now .... Who knows?
    Vicky
    Vicky
    EN Elite
    EN Elite

EN Award#1 Top Poster

Cash : 26173
    Japan

Jobs Threatened 'Thermonuclear War' on Google's Android, AP Says Empty Re: Jobs Threatened 'Thermonuclear War' on Google's Android, AP Says

Post by Vicky Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:18 pm

Smart phones copy his idea so they be fine dont appected anything new after 10 years thou for a while steve plain products for 10 years so even thou he die iphone 4s was he idea so will be same with iphone 5
    PyroPhoenix
    PyroPhoenix
    EN Mod
    EN Mod

EN AwardEN Ace Detective

PSN ID PSN ID : PyroPhoenix

Cash : 26038
    United States of America

Post by PyroPhoenix Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:52 am

Didn't he copy black berry's smartphones first? In the world of business everything is stolen from somewhere. It's not how you steal it, it's how you expand upon it.
    Vicky
    Vicky
    EN Elite
    EN Elite

EN Award#1 Top Poster

Japan

Post by Vicky Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:19 am

Black berry didn't have touch or even apps store and dont get started on black berry internet :p Crap phone internet that except you to paid 30.00 a month for. How many normal walk of life people own a black berry or palm polit really? How many people own a smart phone after the iphone?

Here your answer btw

Jobs Threatened 'Thermonuclear War' on Google's Android, AP Says Rbc-sm11

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2009-08-21/tech/30089822_1_smartphone-market-pc-giants-worldwide-pc-sales

Iphone was 07

Could been earlier if steve allowed Motorola to design this phone was in development from 05-07 But he wanted his design his phone his company very picking person that for sure
    bmarzke
    bmarzke
    EN Prototype
    EN Prototype

PSN ID PSN ID : bmarzke

Cash : 23334
    United States of America

Post by bmarzke Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:55 am

So basically, Apple expanded upon what RIM (Research In Motion) aka Blackberry had already done. Which is exactly what Android (Google) is doing with Apple. So why exactly was Steve Jobs all bent outta shape about it? Oh yeah, it's because Apple is now third in the world with the market share pie chart. Apple, what sore losers. Razz

Jobs Threatened 'Thermonuclear War' on Google's Android, AP Says Pie_ch10

Share of worldwide 2011 Q2 smartphone sales to end users by operating system, according to Gartner.
    rhondatommy
    rhondatommy
    EN Transformer
    EN Transformer

EN AwardListed Top Poster

PSN ID PSN ID : rhondatommy. Na, rhonda247. Jp,rgsinthehouse. Eu

Cash : 25375
    United States of America

Post by rhondatommy Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:33 am

I love my android phone ,so does my hubby. We have the samsung gem and htc phone... Both good phones... Stolen idea or not I enjoy all the apps and the touch sccreen... So thx yo steve for startng the iphone and andriod crazy.... Never giving up my phone til it dies....
    Vicky
    Vicky
    EN Elite
    EN Elite

EN Award#1 Top Poster

Japan

Post by Vicky Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:34 pm

bmarzke wrote:So basically, Apple expanded upon what RIM (Research In Motion) aka Blackberry had already done. Which is exactly what Android (Google) is doing with Apple. So why exactly was Steve Jobs all bent outta shape about it? Oh yeah, it's because Apple is now third in the world with the market share pie chart. Apple, what sore losers. Razz

Share of worldwide 2011 Q2 smartphone sales to end users by operating system, according to Gartner.

Your comparing an OS sell to company sells Of one company of course be higher. Would like to see samsung sells compare to apple. If your spitted it up by company. Meaning the sell of company used android would be a lot less. It be like compare Sells of Windows OS to Windows Office
    bmarzke
    bmarzke
    EN Prototype
    EN Prototype

United States of America

Post by bmarzke Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:38 pm

Vicky wrote:
    bmarzke wrote:So basically, Apple expanded upon what RIM (Research In Motion) aka Blackberry had already done. Which is exactly what Android (Google) is doing with Apple. So why exactly was Steve Jobs all bent outta shape about it? Oh yeah, it's because Apple is now third in the world with the market share pie chart. Apple, what sore losers. Razz

Your comparing an OS sell to company sells Of one company of course be higher. Would like to see samsung sells compare to apple. If your spitted it up by company. Meaning the sell of company used android would be a lot less. It be like compare Sells of Windows OS to Windows Office

Oh, I am sorry. For you see, I thought this was a discussion of Operating Systems to which I was pointing out which of the contenders was clearly favored. But it's quite simple really, if people wanted iOS they would get it. It's perfectly clear that the android OS is simply more desirable. For soon Apple will no longer have any excuses. With exception of T-Mobile, all of the carriers have the iPhone. And they all have competitively priced offerings compared to android.

So soon we shall see. Would the gap remain between Apple and android, or are we to see Android's lead diminish? Which would the customer choose?

Uniformity, or Freedom?
    bmarzke
    bmarzke
    EN Prototype
    EN Prototype

United States of America

Post by bmarzke Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:49 pm

Vicky wrote:Black berry didn't have touch or even apps store and dont get started on black berry internet :p Crap phone internet that except you to paid 30.00 a month for. How many normal walk of life people own a black berry or palm polit really? How many people own a smart phone after the iphone?

Here your answer btw

Jobs Threatened 'Thermonuclear War' on Google's Android, AP Says Rbc-sm11

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2009-08-21/tech/30089822_1_smartphone-market-pc-giants-worldwide-pc-sales

Iphone was 07

Could been earlier if steve allowed Motorola to design this phone was in development from 05-07 But he wanted his design his phone his company very picking person that for sure

Besides, who in the hell is Silicon Alley? Sounds pretty damn sketchy to me. Like it's an underground venture of the actual "Silicon Valley" operatives such as Google or Yahoo.

And I like how outdated this information is considering that for the years of 2009, 2010, and 2011, we aren't reading actual numbers but ESTIMATES instead.

I am glad that Apple was so willing to generate their whopping 18% to the chart though. LMFAO!!! We have them and only them to thank for the current success of smartphones. Razz

Oh and btw, Symbian was only offered on Nokia phones when they obtained that 22% of the marketshare. They only recently let symbian go in favor of the windows 7 platform. In other words, if you're argument is tha android is offered on multiple platforms then consider the fact that Nokia still beat Apple hands down.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 5:29 pm