The-EN.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to The-EN Community!
Please welcome our newest member: https://electronicnetwork.all-up.com/u460
Discuss & Discover more.

4 posters

GAO Report: Policy On Gays Cost Pentagon Nearly $200 Million

RenegadeFred
    RenegadeFred
    EN Prototype
    EN Prototype

Cash : 25745
    United States of America

GAO Report: Policy On Gays Cost Pentagon Nearly $200 Million Empty GAO Report: Policy On Gays Cost Pentagon Nearly $200 Million

Post by RenegadeFred Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:14 pm

A new report from the Government Accountability Office finds that the United States military spent about $193 million between 2004 and 2009 in connection with the Pentagon's "homosexual conduct policy."

The GAO analysis identified 3,664 service members as having been "separated" from the military due to its policy against openly homosexual members serving in the armed forces. Most of the cost associated with the lost personnel came in the form of recruiting and training replacements.

It cost the Department of Defense a little over $185 million to recruit and train replacements, according to the GAO. A further $7.7 million was spent on the administrative side of removing the 3,664 service members from duty.

In December a new law allowing gays to serve in the military was passed by Congress and signed by the president. But it is not expected to take effect for several months.

Source
    SPADEZ
    SPADEZ
    EN Administrator
    EN Administrator

PSN ID PSN ID : SPADERZ216

Cash : 31350
    Puerto Rico

GAO Report: Policy On Gays Cost Pentagon Nearly $200 Million Empty Re: GAO Report: Policy On Gays Cost Pentagon Nearly $200 Million

Post by SPADEZ Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:37 pm

wow wtf.. I wasn't aware that the government even lost any money just for a "homosexual conduct policy". I don't see why gays couldn't be in the military. I know many people tried to pretend they were gay just so they can not get drafted lol
    Meesh
    Meesh
    EN Mod
    EN Mod

EN AwardTop Moderator

EN Award 2Technology Enthusiast

PSN ID PSN ID : YowsahsItsMeesh

Cash : 28125
    Philippines

GAO Report: Policy On Gays Cost Pentagon Nearly $200 Million Empty Re: GAO Report: Policy On Gays Cost Pentagon Nearly $200 Million

Post by Meesh Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:16 pm

Wow, interesting post Fred. A lot of money goes into the military, and in this case, congress has lawfully allowed gays to serve in the military. $200 million certainly does put a dent in our government funds, but not nearly as much as the government has done to itself. It's a big price to pay for these rights but it's well worth it. A lot of people will be quick to hate, judge and blame gays or whoever they want to blame, for America's debt. It's not gay people- if anyone is to blame it's our government.

Because America has been used to the Don't ask Don't Tell policy 'tradition', even though they've passed the law, it will be some time before they actually accept it-that is, if it's ever going to be truly accepted. The same applies to any laws being passed for gay rights. It's sad really, how that is, but the fact that laws are being made for these equal rights shows that people are being heard and something is being done about it. I wish I could live to see the day that every person in this country could be treated equal.

This is a touchy subject for many and it goes along with every issue that involves gay rights. I support the gay community as I have many gay friends-they are just like anybody else and deserve to be treated just like anybody else. Who's to say what they can or can't do. We live in a world that discriminates and is prejudiced against religion, sexual orientation, gender, sex, race..etc. In this country, everyone should be entitled to the same rights. So to ever live amongst each other equally, the reality is- it's a long shot, but I'll be a supporter till the day I die.
    Vicky
    Vicky
    EN Elite
    EN Elite

EN Award#1 Top Poster

Cash : 26223
    Japan

Post by Vicky Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:19 pm

well siad meeshy. Everyone has the right to be treat like a human beegin. Shouldnt be judge poeple on there sexaul orational (so spell wrong) it just wrong. We gay are people too remember that Smile
    Meesh
    Meesh
    EN Mod
    EN Mod

EN AwardTop Moderator

EN Award 2Technology Enthusiast

PSN ID PSN ID : YowsahsItsMeesh

Cash : 28125
    Philippines

Post by Meesh Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:40 pm

lol yes Vicks. The world is a giant box of crayons. All different, but we all belong to the same box Smile There's a price to pay for everything, including equality. The outcome for everyone to be treated as equals: Priceless.
    SPADEZ
    SPADEZ
    EN Administrator
    EN Administrator

PSN ID PSN ID : SPADERZ216

Cash : 31350
    Puerto Rico

Post by SPADEZ Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:52 am

Lol, during the speech president Obama had in the state of the union 2011 presentation, he said "No longer will gay American people be restricted from joining our military" and people gave him a standing ovation but the only ones left sitting with a cringed look on their face, were the generals of the US armed forces themselves Lol smh.. It's clear we know where they stand.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:11 am