The-EN.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to The-EN Community!
Please welcome our newest member: https://electronicnetwork.all-up.com/u460
Discuss & Discover more.

Earthquake Maryland:3.6 Quake in DC

SPADEZ
    SPADEZ
    EN Administrator
    EN Administrator

PSN ID PSN ID : SPADERZ216

Cash : 31245
    Puerto Rico

Earthquake Maryland:3.6 Quake in DC Empty Earthquake Maryland:3.6 Quake in DC

Post by SPADEZ Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:44 am

Maryland suffered a 3.6 earthquake yesterday.While the quake was small, the region is not used to feeling tremors and caused a bit of a panic on a number of social networking sites. President Barack Obama told reporters that he did not feel the earthquake, but said that he had heard that some areas in Washington D.C. were able to feel the quake.
    The quake struck at 5 AM, and was not felt by all that many people. The US Geological Survey revealed that the magnitude of the quake was measured at 3.6, which makes it a fairly minor quake. It is stronger than any other quake that has hit the region in the past 35 years, though.
    “I looked out the window and wondered if it was a plane or something, then I checked my BlackBerry and saw a dozen e-mails alerting the small quake,” said Steve.

It was the first earthquake with a magnitude higher than three near Washington since 1974. In California, Earthquakes of that size are very common and may even happen multiple times in one weak. About an hour after the earth quake, 5,500 people had reported that they felt it. Individuals who felt the quake were in Washington, West Virginia, Virginia and Delaware.
    “It was really loud, like a plane flying really low. I had never felt anything like it. I was jolted out of bed. All my neighbors woke up. After it passed, I thought it could be an earthquake, and lay in bed hoping there were no aftershocks,” said Anne Ngunijiri, 30.

source: http://news.spreadit.org/earthquake-maryland3-6-quake-in-dc/

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:44 am