The-EN.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to The-EN Community!
Please welcome our newest member: https://electronicnetwork.all-up.com/u460
Discuss & Discover more.

3 posters

Sony Close to Buying a Cloud Gaming Service

PyroPhoenix
    PyroPhoenix
    EN Mod
    EN Mod

EN AwardEN Ace Detective

PSN ID PSN ID : PyroPhoenix

Cash : 25973
    United States of America

Sony Close to Buying a Cloud Gaming Service Empty Sony Close to Buying a Cloud Gaming Service

Post by PyroPhoenix Wed May 30, 2012 7:12 pm

Report: Sony Close to Buying a Cloud Gaming Service, Potentially Transforming Future of PlayStation

Sony might be in talks to acquire either OnLive or Gaikai—the two biggest cloud gaming providers—according to a report on Edge that follows up on previous articles on MCV and VG 24/7.

The speculation jibes with comments previously made by a Gaikai executive about this coming E3. It begs the question: what if a console manufacturer got into the cloud gaming business in a big way? Seeing as how the Sonys, Nintendos and Microsofts of the world are hugely dependent on disc-based content, it'd be the equivalent of dogs and cats sleeping together. Well, get ready to have a talk with Fido and Furball, because they may be about to be roommates.

OnLive's managed to bring spiffy tech to market but would probably continue to struggle to make a dent in the hardware market so a deal like this would make sense for them. Gaikai, on the other hand, hasn't sunk money into manufacturing any kind of consoles or controllers but it's shown proof-of-concept for YouTube integration and has a deal for the service to be integrated into upcoming models of LG smart TVs. Of course OnLive has a similar deal with the Google TV platform.

Sony offers full downloads of games via the PlayStation Network but such an acquisition would give them added infrastructure and the proprietary tech that eith company uses to make its streaming viable. Now, it'd be foolhardy to think that such a move would totally replace the next-gen hardware that Sony's working on. But it might shift the design of Orbis/PS4 towards being a box that can stream content more effectively than the current console. The future of consoles is going to be more online-centric moving forward and if these reports are true, Sony would get ahead of the curve in a big way.

When contacted for this story, Sony replied that they do not comment on rumor. Kotaku also reached out to OnLive, who had no comment to offer on the story.
    http://kotaku.com/5914369/sony-reportedly-close-to-buying-onlive-or-gaikai
    bmarzke
    bmarzke
    EN Prototype
    EN Prototype

PSN ID PSN ID : bmarzke

Cash : 23269
    United States of America

Sony Close to Buying a Cloud Gaming Service Empty Re: Sony Close to Buying a Cloud Gaming Service

Post by bmarzke Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:58 am

I personally think it will be Gaikai. I also believe it could help them with backwards compatibility issues with the PS2 games as well. But we shall see soon...

I even had an awesome E3 countdown widget to match my sig. but the lame bulletin board format wouldn't let me post it.... We should switch to html or allow iframes and or JavaScript!!!

But anyways, here's a link instead...

Countdown To E3
    west
    west
    EN Activated
    EN Activated

Cash : 24983
    United States of America

Sony Close to Buying a Cloud Gaming Service Empty Re: Sony Close to Buying a Cloud Gaming Service

Post by west Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:12 pm

I was just searching for a countdown clock program that would allow for custom background images. Couldn't find one. Anyone know of any?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:51 am