The-EN.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to The-EN Community!
Please welcome our newest member: https://electronicnetwork.all-up.com/u460
Discuss & Discover more.

+2
iRaz
Ben Wars
6 posters

How Netflix destroyed Blockbuster

Ben Wars
    Ben Wars
    EN Cyborg
    EN Cyborg

EN AwardTech News Reporter

Cash : 25064
    United States of America

How Netflix destroyed Blockbuster Empty How Netflix destroyed Blockbuster

Post by Ben Wars Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:52 pm

If the rise and fall of Blockbuster has taught us one thing, it's "evolve or fall by the wayside." Also, blind greed may get you to the top, but it'll never sustain great heights.

In September, Blockbuster filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Since then, it's been revealed that it may not be able to meet all of the financial obligations under the filing. Big surprise.

For years, the doomed rental house flailed from one poorly planned initiative to another -- all in the hopes of catching the runaway train that is Netflix. It briefly ditched late fees, only to reintroduce them as "restocking fees" when it couldn't keep up with the loss of revenue. It touted the 28-day new release window it held with Warner Bros, Fox, and Universal -- but saw its rental kiosks lose the advantage in December. And with its finger on the pulse of modern technology, it pushed SD cards into those kiosks rather than putting all of its resources into Blockbuster On-Demand.

Seemingly every idea out of the brick-and-mortar retailer was firmly entrenched in the 1990s. Zero forward thinking across the board. And CEO Jim Keyes was arguably the worst offender.

Keyes has said, in regards to Netflix's "confusing" interface on its many, many partners' devices:

What I want to do is punch a button on my remote, and have access to 10,000 movies. You can get it all here. I'm going to be brash for a moment, but I don’t have to figure out how to get it from my Nintendo machine to the screen. I know I can do it, but I don't want to -- it makes my head hurt to think about it!

Yes, Jim. But 20 million Netflix subscribers seem to have no trouble wrapping their head around it.

With its constant growth and heavy push to streaming video, Netflix has been crowned the world's leading online video subscription service. But how did it do it? This infographic -- courtesy of Online MBA Programs -- sheds some light on how Netflix beat Blockbuster.

source

How Netflix destroyed Blockbuster Netflix
    iRaz
    iRaz
    EN Mod
    EN Mod

EN AwardTop Comedy Contributor

EN Award 2#1 Most Active Member

PSN ID PSN ID : Razokevin

Cash : 29214
    Puerto Rico

How Netflix destroyed Blockbuster Empty Re: How Netflix destroyed Blockbuster

Post by iRaz Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:09 pm

its obvious, technology keeps progressing and now we are getting more and more digital stores, why going to blockbuster, spending gas, time, and risking when you can watch movies for a lower price and you dont have to more from your chair(lol)
    Vicky
    Vicky
    EN Elite
    EN Elite

EN Award#1 Top Poster

Cash : 26113
    Japan

Post by Vicky Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:33 pm

well netflix doesn't have all there movies streaming yet and cant rent game either please dont said game fly because after few months you not be able get new titles alway be out of stock and some time i do like rent games before i do buy them
    SuperAPG1
    SuperAPG1
    EN Robot
    EN Robot

EN AwardListed Top Poster

PSN ID PSN ID : ArcadePro_1

Cash : 25048
    United States of America

Post by SuperAPG1 Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:11 pm

"as techonoly progresses humans will get lazy and fat " lolz
    Vicky
    Vicky
    EN Elite
    EN Elite

EN Award#1 Top Poster

Japan

Post by Vicky Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:08 pm

indeed moving around is a good thing for real
    SPADEZ
    SPADEZ
    EN Administrator
    EN Administrator

PSN ID PSN ID : SPADERZ216

Cash : 31240
    Puerto Rico

Post by SPADEZ Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:50 pm

SuperAPG1 wrote:"as techonoly progresses humans will get lazy and fat " lolz
    As time passes, our future looks more destined to be a WALL-E movie outcome o_o.

and wow... I knew blockbuster was doing bad but I didn't realize their history and going bankrupt? damn... lets see if Netflix is smarter and stays on top for a while or falls down like the rest, taken over by another in the future.
    Vicky
    Vicky
    EN Elite
    EN Elite

EN Award#1 Top Poster

Japan

Post by Vicky Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:55 pm

yes more time pass more we get like wall-e movie if the world doesn't end like in 2012 :p
    Meesh
    Meesh
    EN Mod
    EN Mod

EN AwardTop Moderator

EN Award 2Technology Enthusiast

PSN ID PSN ID : YowsahsItsMeesh

Cash : 28015
    Philippines

Post by Meesh Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:05 pm

The majority of video stores are closing down due to the trend in instant streaming and mail-in movies. I don't know if you guys have heard of Red Box, but they're pretty much like movie vending machines that are set up in certain locations such as grocery stores, Walmarts, Targets, and some gas stations. You can rent movies for about a dollar a day and it has to be returned by the following day 6 p.m. to ANY Red Box location. Since Americans will always go for things that are easily accessible and more convenient to them, it would be ideal for them to stick with the instant streaming deal. The only set back with instant streaming is that the selection isn't always great. Many movies are only accessible via disc. Either way, whether it's through the video store, Red Box, or instant streaming, we're not always guaranteed the movies we want to watch.
    Vicky
    Vicky
    EN Elite
    EN Elite

EN Award#1 Top Poster

Japan

Post by Vicky Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:06 pm

but they dont have video games i want to rent some video games some times :p without buying them first
    SuperAPG1
    SuperAPG1
    EN Robot
    EN Robot

United States of America

Post by SuperAPG1 Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:26 am

SPADEZ wrote:
    SuperAPG1 wrote:"as techonoly progresses humans will get lazy and fat " lolz
    As time passes, our future looks more destined to be a WALL-E movie outcome o_o.

and wow... I knew blockbuster was doing bad but I didn't realize their history and going bankrupt? damn... lets see if Netflix is smarter and stays on top for a while or falls down like the rest, taken over by another in the future.
    WOW i was thinking the samething as in the movie in wall-e
    Vicky wrote:but they dont have video games i want to rent some video games some times :p without buying them first
    REDBOX is just movies if you want games to rent check gamefly or blockbuster
    Vicky
    Vicky
    EN Elite
    EN Elite

EN Award#1 Top Poster

Japan

Post by Vicky Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:42 am

gamefly after 3 months all new game out of stock always it sucks yeah blockbuster where rent my game if they go under i cant do that any more :p
    SuperAPG1
    SuperAPG1
    EN Robot
    EN Robot

United States of America

Post by SuperAPG1 Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:49 am

Vicky wrote:gamefly after 3 months all new game out of stock always it sucks yeah blockbuster where rent my game if they go under i cant do that any more :p
    i thought u were japanese / there block busters in japan ?
    Vicky
    Vicky
    EN Elite
    EN Elite

EN Award#1 Top Poster

Japan

Post by Vicky Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:52 am

no no i dont live in japan Smile i am half japanese though now i wonder if there is a blockbuster in japan i would have to asked my mother edit yeah it like blockbuster it has moives it called Tsutaya Very Happy But no video games but you can rent cd's that right rent cd's because japanese know it against the law to copy them and they will not Smile

Last edited by Vicky on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
    SuperAPG1
    SuperAPG1
    EN Robot
    EN Robot

United States of America

Post by SuperAPG1 Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:55 am

o wow
    Vicky
    Vicky
    EN Elite
    EN Elite

EN Award#1 Top Poster

Japan

Post by Vicky Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:57 am

http://www.tsutaya.co.jp/index.html japan blockbuster well it like it but no video games but they rent cd's also can rent Manga from there Very Happy

Last edited by Vicky on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
    SuperAPG1
    SuperAPG1
    EN Robot
    EN Robot

United States of America

Post by SuperAPG1 Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:00 am

everything in japanese >.< no Understand lolz
    Vicky
    Vicky
    EN Elite
    EN Elite

EN Award#1 Top Poster

Japan

Post by Vicky Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:02 am

yeah of course sorry about that >.<
    SuperAPG1
    SuperAPG1
    EN Robot
    EN Robot

United States of America

Post by SuperAPG1 Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:04 am

i think i saw something about psp games ?
    Vicky
    Vicky
    EN Elite
    EN Elite

EN Award#1 Top Poster

Japan

Post by Vicky Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:10 am

no japan made it ilegal to rent games anymore so i doubt that maybe they sevre all of asian i think they do but there no more renting games in japan they really push for this years back really sucks when i visit my mother >.<
    SuperAPG1
    SuperAPG1
    EN Robot
    EN Robot

United States of America

Post by SuperAPG1 Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:11 am

that suckz

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:31 pm