The-EN.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to The-EN Community!
Please welcome our newest member: https://electronicnetwork.all-up.com/u460
Discuss & Discover more.

5 posters

The Sony PSP2, codenamed NGP

SPADEZ
    SPADEZ
    EN Administrator
    EN Administrator

PSN ID PSN ID : SPADERZ216

Cash : 31340
    Puerto Rico

News The Sony PSP2, codenamed NGP

Post by SPADEZ Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:41 am

The Sony PSP2, codenamed NGP Sony-tokyo-event-1430-1296110915

Betcha didn't think this day would come, but it finally has. Sony has just come clean with its next-generation PlayStation Portable. It's actually codenamed NGP and will revolve around five key concepts: Revolutionary User Interface, Social Connectivity, Location-based Entertainment, Converging Real and Virtual (augmented) Reality. It will be compatible with the PlayStation Suite.

Specs include a 5-inch touchscreen OLED display with 960 x 544 resolution, dual analog sticks (not nubs as on the current generation), 3G, WiFi, GPS, a rear-mounted touchpad, the same accelerometer / gyroscope motion sensing as in the PlayStation Move, an electronic compass, and cameras on both the front and back. Oh, and the CPU is described as "the most advanced" in its class. Available this holiday season. Wait... what?!

The Sony PSP2, codenamed NGP
    The Sony PSP2, codenamed NGP Sony-tokyo-event-1401-1296110449_103x88 The Sony PSP2, codenamed NGP Sony-tokyo-event-1399_103x88 The Sony PSP2, codenamed NGP Sony-tokyo-event-1395_103x88 The Sony PSP2, codenamed NGP Sony-tokyo-event-1394_103x88 The Sony PSP2, codenamed NGP Psp2-big-rm-eng_103x88

Games will come on "new media," not UMD anymore, but we're unclear on what sort of flash memory is being used. Sony's rather proud of the fact it's offering the world's first dual analog stick combo on a portable device, though we're more geeked about the quadrupling of pixel count from the original PSP.

Games being shown off at Sony's live event right now include Killzone, Resistance, Little Big Planet, and Uncharted -- with the latter serving as a demo platform to show off how the NGP's rear touchpad can be used to more intuitively climb up some vines. That touch panel on the back is the same size as the front OLED display and is "mapped" directly to the game screen, which is allowing for some pretty sophisticated stuff when using the two simultaneously.

The new console's UI will be called LiveArea, which has a bunch of vertically navigable home screens and built-in social networking (presumably through PSN). You can jump between games and the LiveArea without losing your progress and comment on your buddies' great feats of mobile gaming.

PSP2 games and UI
    The Sony PSP2, codenamed NGP Psp2uisam12701_103x88 The Sony PSP2, codenamed NGP Psp2uisam12702_103x88 The Sony PSP2, codenamed NGP Psp2uisam12703_103x88 The Sony PSP2, codenamed NGP Psp2uisam12704_103x88 The Sony PSP2, codenamed NGP Psp2uisam12705_103x88

source
    Titan
    Titan
    EN Prototype
    EN Prototype

PSN ID PSN ID : ADAMPwns

Cash : 24897
    United States of America

News Re: The Sony PSP2, codenamed NGP

Post by Titan Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:51 am

Oh man, it's beautiful. The analog sticks sound like they'll be fairly awkward to use though, given the way you have to hold the device.
    SPADEZ
    SPADEZ
    EN Administrator
    EN Administrator

Puerto Rico

Post by SPADEZ Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:08 am

Definitely looks awesome and looks to have a ton of potential. I actually feel more inclined on buying it after seeing these images. The rumored PSP2 image that looked like the PSP GO was a bit... unoriginal? I guess? The whole 3G thing is awesome! Thats like carrying a portable PS3 and being able to play online virtually anywhere. I wonder if they'll come out with an app store on it. Smile
    Titan
    Titan
    EN Prototype
    EN Prototype

PSN ID PSN ID : ADAMPwns

Cash : 24897
    United States of America

Post by Titan Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:48 am

The thing is, because it can support games for the PS3 (third parties got Yakuza 4 and Metal Gear Solid 4 working on it), we could potentially see Home on it.
    Vlaun
    Vlaun
    EN Test Subject
    EN Test Subject

PSN ID PSN ID : Vlaun, AlexGeminiV2112

Cash : 25043
    United States of America

Post by Vlaun Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:50 am

I am curious if it has cellphone-like capabilities in regards to messaging, such as an on-screen keyboard. Maybe even possibly with Swype functionality. I'm also curious about the UI. It almost seems to be some sort of Android OS geared for the NGP or something similar. Of course I could be wrong. The fact that this thing has the potential to be nearly a "Playstation 3 Portable" I wonder if Home could grace this thing. However the NGP's battery is yet to be determined. With such a powerful device surely comes the need for more power. Hopefully Sony takes the lessons of the PSP to heart and actually have a decent battery life on this thing. Either way... SOLD! Good job Sony =P

Edit: Oh and also, here's a video of the NGP running Uncharted, which btw looks pretty damn close to how it looks on PlaySation 3. You can see the control functionality of the touch screens, both front and back. Also the Dualshock-like analogs. This thing is looking swoooooot.
    Ben Wars
    Ben Wars
    EN Cyborg
    EN Cyborg

EN AwardTech News Reporter

Cash : 25164
    United States of America

Post by Ben Wars Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:49 pm

The fact that the PSP2 is going to have dual cameras like the iPhone4/iTouch4, may indicate that we could have 3rd party apps such as Skype. I agree this thing is going to require a good battery life to support all its features for a decent amount of time. I'm sure they'll add txt messenging features on the PSP2 with the 3G capabilities. Probably to txt other PSN users on the fly! I can't wait till this thing comes out!
    SPADEZ
    SPADEZ
    EN Administrator
    EN Administrator

Puerto Rico

Post by SPADEZ Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:40 pm

Thanks for posting that video Vlaun, the graphics def look more rich and intense, almost ps3 portable status! Looks awesome.

Heres another video:

VanishingS
    VanishingS
    EN Activated
    EN Activated

PSN ID PSN ID : VanishingS

Cash : 25490
    Canada

Post by VanishingS Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:01 pm

I'M so getting this thing ... i love PSPs so mucho The Sony PSP2, codenamed NGP 198377

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 12:15 am