The-EN.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to The-EN Community!
Please welcome our newest member: https://electronicnetwork.all-up.com/u460
Discuss & Discover more.

+2
PyroPhoenix
rose_wolf_girl
6 posters

Sony Gives PlayStation Home a Massive Theme Park Makeover With MMO-like Gameplay This Fall

rose_wolf_girl
    rose_wolf_girl
    EN Activated
    EN Activated

PSN ID PSN ID : A_Home_Fact

Cash : 23623
    United States of America

News Sony Gives PlayStation Home a Massive Theme Park Makeover With MMO-like Gameplay This Fall

Post by rose_wolf_girl Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:35 am

Sony Gives PlayStation Home a Massive Theme Park Makeover With MMO-like Gameplay This Fall 60710210

Sony Gives PlayStation Home a Massive Theme Park Makeover With MMO-like Gameplay This FallPlayStation Home, the digital hang out space for Sony's PlayStation 3 that opened to the public in 2008, is getting an extreme makeover later this year. Sony's console social network will be redesigned for the fall, reemerging as an experience that's part theme park, part online game and part social network.

The new PlayStation Home, Sony says, represents the social platform's "evolution from a virtual environment to a world of games, with a focus on rapidly connecting players with game content that pertains to their style and mood." Gone will be much of the architecture of the current Home, replaced by a space called the Hub and a series of districts based on themes, a digital Disney World designed with core gamers in mind.

The Hub of the new Home is a sleek, bright entrance into this redesigned world. The new entrance to Home, the Hub looks like a futuristic airport or mall—clean, populated by virtual shoppers and travelers, and drawing some visual influence from Valve's Portal 2. It has been designed to get Home visitors to destinations and games faster; to pop you into a social space, not an empty apartment; and to immediately have "a huge game staring you in the face as soon as you come in," says Jack Buser, director of PlayStation Home.

Sony Gives PlayStation Home a Massive Theme Park Makeover With MMO-like Gameplay This Fall"No longer will people come into Home and say 'I couldn't find anything to do,'" Buser promised during a preview of the new Home at this year's Game Developers Conference. The Home team want to "jam fun right in your face" (in the nicest way possible).
    Sony Gives PlayStation Home a Massive Theme Park Makeover With MMO-like Gameplay This Fall Playstation-home_hub
    Upon entering the Hub, Home visitors will instantly see games to play—a version of Lazy 8 Studios' Cogs has been the example provided in early previews, but Buser says Sony wants "fresh games all the time"—places to shop and activity boards, where players can learn about Home-based events and play mission-based quests.

From the Hub, PS3 owners can also visit Home's new districts, each inspired by the Tomorrowland and Adventureland of Disney World, each loosely themed around video game genres.

Home's Action District is geared toward the Call of Duty, Resistance and Killzone player, with an "urban feel reminiscent of a first-person shooter level" that "provides a direct travel point to action and horror games." Whether we'll actually be able to shoot our fellow Home visitors in the face, or just give them finger guns while dancing with them, remains to be seen.
    Sony Gives PlayStation Home a Massive Theme Park Makeover With MMO-like Gameplay This Fall Playstation-home_action01
    The Adventure District is more suited for the Tomb Raider and Uncharted fan, an area designed as a "lush island jungle with an air of mystery, hidden treasure and discovery." I got a peek at the Adventure District at this year's E3 and was impressed by its ancient architecture and detailed idols. It's one of the more intriguing areas, as it may be home to the most interesting quests and treasure hunts the new Home has to offer. (It was also previously rolled into the Action District, but Sony split the two after early feedback.)

Sony Gives PlayStation Home a Massive Theme Park Makeover With MMO-like Gameplay This FallPlayStation Home director Jack Buser expects that PlayStation 3 owners will meet up, strategize and launch their games from districts like these, or at the very least socialize with like minded gamers. Two more districts are also planned.

Home's Sportswalk is aimed at the virtual sports fan, designed with an "outside-the-stadium feel." Sony promises "major league sports scores, headlines and highlights, ample space for sports-themed games and provides direct travel points to sports-related games." And its Pier Park, a boardwalk populated with carnival games, rides and arcades, promises an "E for Everyone area."

In addition to dividing Home into theme park-like zones, pushing more games on players (like Cogs) and making it simpler to move between the platform's virtual spaces, Sony is layering new MMO-like quests and "persistent, branching story lines" into its revamped virtual world. I had the opportunity to play some of these games at E3 2011, including one that instanced an alien invasion of Home. Seriously!
    Sony Gives PlayStation Home a Massive Theme Park Makeover With MMO-like Gameplay This Fall Playstation-home_pierpark01
    That objective-based gameplay started with a warning message in Home's new Hub, detailing the invasion and informing me about my tasks. That lead to me playing a mini-game that put my Home avatar in control of a boat in a top-down arcade game. Taking control of a DualShock, I gobbled up barrels of fuel with my boat while avoiding the alien missiles that rained down upon my little watercraft. A related game put me in control of a gun turret, from which I shot down alien space ships and destroyed a city block-sized mothership.

The games were simple but entertaining diversions. It was the promise of quests, daily challenges and ongoing story-driven missions—and the resulting rewards from completing those tasks—that seemed to hold the most promise for ramping up gaming in PlayStation Home. Add to that community-driven quests and the ability to unlock video game content from Home and the appeal of "gamifying" the PS3 social space starts to look much more appealing from a play perspective.

Sony Gives PlayStation Home a Massive Theme Park Makeover With MMO-like Gameplay This FallSony's push for PlayStation Home to be more than a digital space to chat, dance and play with other PS3 owners hits this fall. It says it also plans a "separate core client upgrade" that revamps of the underlying user experience in Home.

"This update will deliver a more streamlined experience upon login with customized tracks for new, returning and regular PlayStation Home users, minimizing the time it takes for players to get into games," says the official announcement.

If you're a fan of the current Home, one of the 23 million users who have creeped its virtual halls, say your goodbyes to the old experience. Buser says spaces like the existing plaza and theater will soon be extinct—"We're going to press the detonate button on that stuff," he said excitedly at GDC.
    http://kotaku.com/5833437/sony-gives-playstation-home-a-massive-theme-park-makeover-with-mmo+like-gameplay-this-fall

Last edited by PyroPhoenix on Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:56 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added more info =)
    PyroPhoenix
    PyroPhoenix
    EN Mod
    EN Mod

EN AwardEN Ace Detective

PSN ID PSN ID : PyroPhoenix

Cash : 25828
    United States of America

News Re: Sony Gives PlayStation Home a Massive Theme Park Makeover With MMO-like Gameplay This Fall

Post by PyroPhoenix Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:59 am

Thanks for reminding about this. I read about it but I forgot to post it. I edited your post with all the info. This fall PS Home is going to be amazing! Good job Home dev team. By the way, how come all the testers look like newbs? Do they not give them free clothes to dress their avatars?
    Meesh
    Meesh
    EN Mod
    EN Mod

EN AwardTop Moderator

EN Award 2Technology Enthusiast

PSN ID PSN ID : YowsahsItsMeesh

Cash : 27865
    Philippines

News Re: Sony Gives PlayStation Home a Massive Theme Park Makeover With MMO-like Gameplay This Fall

Post by Meesh Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:22 pm

This looks pretty badass. I've been out of the Home loop a bit and need to play catch up. Moar mini-games!
    rose_wolf_girl
    rose_wolf_girl
    EN Activated
    EN Activated

PSN ID PSN ID : A_Home_Fact

Cash : 23623
    United States of America

Post by rose_wolf_girl Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Thank's pryo it's about time we got something new playstation home was starting to get boring.
    rhondatommy
    rhondatommy
    EN Transformer
    EN Transformer

EN AwardListed Top Poster

PSN ID PSN ID : rhondatommy. Na, rhonda247. Jp,rgsinthehouse. Eu

Cash : 25165
    United States of America

Post by rhondatommy Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:03 pm

Omg so cant wait looks freaking sweet
    iRaz
    iRaz
    EN Mod
    EN Mod

EN AwardTop Comedy Contributor

EN Award 2#1 Most Active Member

PSN ID PSN ID : Razokevin

Cash : 29064
    Puerto Rico

Post by iRaz Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:06 pm

This still won't make me use that crappy "Social Network" for Gamers. Real gamers play real games.
    Meesh
    Meesh
    EN Mod
    EN Mod

EN AwardTop Moderator

EN Award 2Technology Enthusiast

PSN ID PSN ID : YowsahsItsMeesh

Cash : 27865
    Philippines

Post by Meesh Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:15 pm

iRaz wrote:This still won't make me use that crappy "Social Network" for Gamers. Real gamers play real games.

LOL, don't front Raz, you were once an avid Home user as well as a gamer. Real gamers play 'real' games and also use Home as well! Some people stick around on Home and some grow out of it. There are also the few that focus on gaming and come back to it eventually. And then there are the people that just like to use their ps3s for netflix and playstation Home lol. But you can't say that you didn't enjoy yourself on Home at some point ;p
    rhondatommy
    rhondatommy
    EN Transformer
    EN Transformer

EN AwardListed Top Poster

PSN ID PSN ID : rhondatommy. Na, rhonda247. Jp,rgsinthehouse. Eu

Cash : 25165
    United States of America

Post by rhondatommy Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:15 pm

Lolz @raz one question isnt home gonna lagg more when this is added. It laggs enough now. Are they removing other spaces for this? Just wondering. Smile
    iRaz
    iRaz
    EN Mod
    EN Mod

EN AwardTop Comedy Contributor

EN Award 2#1 Most Active Member

PSN ID PSN ID : Razokevin

Cash : 29064
    Puerto Rico

Post by iRaz Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:40 pm

Meesh wrote:
    iRaz wrote:This still won't make me use that crappy "Social Network" for Gamers. Real gamers play real games.

LOL, don't front Raz, you were once an avid Home user as well as a gamer. Real gamers play 'real' games and also use Home as well! Some people stick around on Home and some grow out of it. There are also the few that focus on gaming and come back to it eventually. And then there are the people that just like to use their ps3s for netflix and playstation Home lol. But you can't say that you didn't enjoy yourself on Home at some point ;p
    I started in December '08 when I got a PS3(Wasn't for home tho) but I liked the way it looked and I didn't have any games, so I wanted to give it a try. My best Home moments were between that day and the day that Team Omega was disbanned after LUIGGY getting permanent ban.
    I don't exactly remember when Xi was, but I enjoyed Xi since first day until last day of it. I also liked the community events a lot. I had a blast at Siren bothering people with the bubbles and getting my rewards. I remember those awesome moments when I just used to spam people in Home(LOL).

When Home was a smaller community, people were united. Not anymore. I started to hate Home when people started to call the clubs "fams". I just dont think Home is the same anymore. They ruined a lot of the cool things thinking they were making something good. I don't consider Home a virtual playground for gamers anymore. It is now full of cyber transgenders, etc...
    I don't think I will be addicted to Home anymore. Maybe I will be back, someday....
    PyroPhoenix
    PyroPhoenix
    EN Mod
    EN Mod

EN AwardEN Ace Detective

United States of America

Post by PyroPhoenix Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:07 pm

rhondatommy wrote:Lolz @raz one question isnt home gonna lagg more when this is added. It laggs enough now. Are they removing other spaces for this? Just wondering. Smile
    Home's lag doesn't really affect it right now. Since you're just walking around talking to your friends. If you're actually playing a multiplayer game (zombies) in home then it will affect you. Adding new spaces won't change home's latency. They would have to change the way the servers upload, players sync, and add lag algorithms to compensate for your location. If you're worried about the way home loads, don't be. When home first came out it loaded slow as hell but they fixed it with patches. The spaces load as fast as your PS3, and hdd can handle it. If you want PS home spaces to load faster you should replace your HDD with a SSD.
    SPADEZ
    SPADEZ
    EN Administrator
    EN Administrator

PSN ID PSN ID : SPADERZ216

Cash : 31090
    Puerto Rico

Post by SPADEZ Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:29 am

Ahh this should be awesome! I haven't really been on PS Home lately, due to being so busy and a lack of interest so hopefully this sparks interest amongst myself and other users Smile
    PyroPhoenix
    PyroPhoenix
    EN Mod
    EN Mod

EN AwardEN Ace Detective

United States of America

Post by PyroPhoenix Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:13 am

Watch as a beta user breaks his NDA. No HDTV wtf?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 pm